Josh Kline at Modern Art
I thought of this piece when the idea for using a tape recorder came to mind - the whole installation is basically built around this tape recorder I bought off Amazon. On it I am going to play a recording of myself reciting a piece I wrote titled s(crap)s, which is a poem I put together using a combination of notes from my phone/ipod/laptop, pieces I had written on Pages, and random thoughts that occurred when collecting the text.
This text piece has been influenced by my reading of Darcie Wilder's Literally Show Me A Healthy Person, wherein she compiles tweets she has made into a book that is a poetic insight into our intimacy with social media, and the intimacy we share on social media.
In previous work this term I have been extracting Facebook statuses from a friend Claire Eady, turning them into digital text pieces and printing them.
An extract from my recent report elaborates on this:
Within my own work I am fascinated by the effect of human nature on the digital world and vice versa. How a person exists online versus how they exist when you shake their hand. In my recent text pieces I am essentially examining a particular person, my friend Claire Eady, as a Facebook entity, by taking her statuses, which could be seen as throwaway digital content (something that appears fleetingly before it is scrolled past and left lingering in cyberspace) and immortalising them in printed work. These words permeate through the physical, to the digital, then back to the physical realm.
This is what I aim to continue doing in this installation piece - I'm calling it s(crap)s after the poem it features - and I hope to create a sense of the in-between, of being in a space unidentifiable in any dimension.
A sketchbook page featuring the title of Darcie Wilder's book alongside a drawing of one of Claire's Facebook profile pictures (Chloe Sevigny shot a pumpkin) and the caption it had (7yay)
I have booked an installation space in the studio for Wednesday and Thursday of next week, in the hope that it will take the morning of Wednesday to set up, and the rest of the time it will be open for people to venture into.
(Issues to take into consideration: rewinding the tape? Should I leave it playing or leave it up to the viewer to play?)






No comments:
Post a Comment