Tuesday, 28 November 2017

PROGRESS

Things I have completed:
- sound piece and then recorded it onto a cassette tape
- Lizzie McGuire text piece 

On Friday I set aside the day to create the sound piece that will essentially be the centre of my installation. Initially I planned to simply play a repeated recording of myself reciting the written piece s(crap)s, but when it came to it the recording ended up sounding too stern and also I hate the sound of my own voice, so I wanted to add to it to kind mask my voice but also give the piece more of its own atmosphere. 

~~~ Perpetuating this idea of throwaway digital content, snippets of people's lives they share with hundreds to thousands of people then it's gone, and the next one pops up and it's like a temporary memento, like an online stream of consciousness, layers of sounds = overload of stimulation from social media, a room full of people talking at the same time trying to talk louder than each other, checking their views, not necessarily in a narcissistic way but more in a way of just documenting humanity and watching people watch you, viewing yourself as an online persona as a type of thing online as a brand??? Like how the Kardashians have become their own brand, like how we present these vignettes of our life in a way that will fit with your online brand and then it disappears and you make a new one / INHABITING A TEMPORARY DIGITAL SPACE ~~~

{ Comments on my sound piece so far: 
- like the Arthur Jafa video 
- visualised as pink and ice blue, like the cover of a barbie DVD
- sounds colourful, it’s got movement, sounds like walking into a very big very busy very overcrowded japanese toy and gadget store }

At a contemporary dance class last Tuesday, we learnt a movement sequence to a piece of music by Philip Glass and it struck a chord with me. Since then I have been listening to his music without any intention of tying it to my own work, but as I began recording s(crap)s I played a piece of music called KYOKO'S HOUSE ("stage blood is not enough") to fill in the silence and release some of the tension I felt when recording myself. Following on from this, I realised that it could really build a good foundation for my sound piece if I were to have an instrumental background (it also meant I had a timing template to collage the other sounds onto and figure out how long I should make the piece). The result is this emotive atmosphere is created, and the sound clips have more emphasis in the piece. 

After finishing my sound piece on GarageBand, I played it out loud and recorded it onto a tape player. I'm hitting this idea of nostalgia, 'a simpler time', and reflecting on throwaway culture as a permanent fixture - giving the void that people yell into a physical body, keeping it on tape and shifting the weight of it. The conversation with an uber driver is the weight of the 10 seconds it takes to watch, but on a tape player there's gravity and you can rewind it and play it as many times as you want s o it's heavy and it's held in your hands it's on a table. I've only recorded the piece once onto tape, so the viewer has to interact and rewind the tape themselves. 

Another thing I have completed is turning a line from the written piece into a banner, like something from a kids party.

I drew and cut out the letters freehand, which gives it this DIY feel but the blue shiny paper is reminiscent of a web space. I plan to hang this on one of the walls in the installation room, but I have to be careful not to make it the centrepiece of the room, as I'm hoping there will be no one thing that dominates the whole room, rather a collection of objects that make up a space. 

No comments:

Post a Comment